Thursday, May 03, 2007

Discernment...

Have you ever noticed that when you fill out a blog comment or something similar, most ask you for "word verification"?? It seems really simple. Wavy letters, crooked numbers, no big deal.

But you can read it.

Although you and I know that computers are amazing! They can build mini-micro machines, find out if your debit card is authorized in 2 seconds flat, but it takes a human to read squiggly letters.

It's discernment. It's taking what we know and applying it to this instance. I can download the bible to my cell phone, my son can blow on the screen of his DS and create a virtual bubble (wow) and we can be full-on techno-geeks but God's Word was meant for Us. Our human minds. We are the only ones who can look at the text on the pages and use discernment, with the aid of the Holy Spirit of course, to know what He is trying to say to us. Whales can't, dogs can't, monkeys can't.

It's SO simple. Isn't it wild how we are so fearfully and wonderfully made?

It seems computers really started to grow & develop in the 60's, and actually, so did I, but my brain - your brain - was designed by God, perfect. 1000 years ago, brains were the same as now. 2000 years ago... and all the way back to the time of Adam, our human minds were made for discernment. They didn't need to be perfected. They don't freeze and need to be re-booted. Well, mine sort of does. Tom can totally attest to that. But imagine if Adam did not have a fully functional brain - when God walked with Adam... what would they have been able to talk about?? Cavemen-schmavmen... hooey.

It's just some thoughts I've been having lately... what do you think?

4 comments:

Beth Christensen said...

OM Gosh! Fascinating! And I was thinking while reading your blog... we all have minds, but not all of us have minds directed by the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead. The power we have access to behind our human mind if only we choose to use it. It's there for the taking. Why do we choose to drown out that kind of power and wisdom with muck sometimes? Sometimes we just need a break, but some of us fill it with junk 24/7. Why? I understand why if we don't have access to the H.S., but those of us who do have access to that H.S.?!

Beth Christensen said...

I Forgot to add..I love hearing what going on in that head of yours Brookie. =)

PS When I was talking about
"we" I was really referring to myself and just included you to make me feel better.

Brooke said...

very funny beth... "we" all have minds.... ha! ;o) is that the 'royal' WE??
if you call my cell phone lately, my answer tone addresses that very issue. I won't tell you; you'll just have to call!

Anonymous said...

you are a very wise and DEEP woman! soo very very true. i know that decernment is a gift and unfortunatly a choice i dont make sometimes. i am exhorted tho, today to use that gift and decern. thanks for being such a pal and wise friend.