Thursday, October 16, 2008

William Joyce


... has been a favorite of mine forever.



I read him to my nieces... they're married now...



I read him to my daughter. we started with George Shrinks.

Then Shoes. Who can forget the line "... your very own, skinny boned, wiggly-toed feet!"



Something about his art is just mesmerizing. For ME, it was the precursor to Shag Art... it was the art that got me excited first, and then I saw Shag and it continued my love for this kind of eye-catching super cool art.



He went on to do Dinosaur Bob, The Leaf Men, Santa Calls, A Day in the Life of Wilbur Robinson- which, of course, became Meet The Robinsons. He did Robots... shall I go on?? He also did Rolie Polie Olie which was on the Disney Channel and was SO cool back in the day!

Unfortunately, he's gotten TOO popular... his art has gotten watered down. Just look at George Shrinks on PBS... it's terrible. Mr. Joyce's original artwork for that book is seriously gorgeous... someone has gotten hold of it and made it bland. I hate the thought of that happening to any of his other works... although he has some new cool things coming out, I hope they don't go awry!
why does that have to happen to some things??
Why does perfect art have to change?
Why does a character in a book ever have to change...?
this has nothing to do with books but why couldn't the commercial paper market continue on?? well, I know the answer to that one but I still wish it could have... with some regulation, of course.
why can't everything just have a pause button, so that we can have a minute to figure it all out??
* sigh *

No comments: