Monday, November 19, 2007

My Photography

So, when I was 12 and a budding photographer, my father asked me to help him with his part-time wedding photograpy business.
I would travel with him all over, being his extra camera, his 'shot arranger', etc.
At 13 I got my first job at Briar Photography in the circle, developing and printing black & white photos & film. We also built a darkroom in our basement where we could process all of our own stuff.
I also started taking lots of portraits of my friends.
I then worked at Albert & James Photography for years, in their black & white lab making custom b&w prints. It has always been such a passion of mine but you know how it gets... you get married, have a ton of kids and all of your interests get pushed aside.
It's been really fun getting back in to photography lately, especially learning how to do things digitally to a photograph which, previously, had taken YEARS to perfect in a darkroom! (All that time dodging and burning and color tinting... now it's a few clicks...wow. I'm bummed and amazed all at the same time!)
Anyway, I love what photography DOES... it captures a moment and holds it there. It's like listening to Ella Fitzgerald sing, or seeing "Birth of a Nation", it's like you get to grab hold of time and show something about it; something you and others can remember later when it's gone.
But I digress... ON to the point of all this:
I've been asked to take on different photo assignments over this past few months and thought I should have a Flickr site showing my work.

No comments: