Saturday, May 10, 2008

Since We Live In FREEWAY LAND...


I remember once reading about how they number the freeways in California... I always wondered what the rhyme or reason was behind it- here it is...

One and two digit route numbers:
Odd. North/South, lowest numbers in the West.
Even. East/West, lowest numbers in the South.
Multiples of 5. MAJOR interstates that typically go cross-country.

Three digit route numbers:
First digit odd. Spur into metropolitan area (at time of route adoption).
First digit even. Spur around metropolitan area (at time of route adoption).
Last two digits. Indicate the route from which the spur or loop diverged.
i love tha photo... look how small the freeways seem (read: narrow), don't they?? That look like it might be the I-5 perhaps... ?? back before they made it a SUPER HIGHWAY...
I'll never forget- years ago, my brother was telling me about how he was driving down the 5 on his way to work in LA and he saw his binoculars sitting next to him on the seat so he decided to see what it would be like to drive while looking through the binoculars BACKWARDS. I laughed pretty hard at this (picture driving 65 mph while looking through the wrong end of those things...) andyway, I laughed even harder when I read this post in a weekly human interest column in The Register saying: "Spotted: a guy driving down the 5 fwy while looking through binoculars- BACKWARDS!!"
I thought that was pretty funny... ;o)

No comments: