Saturday, August 04, 2007

My Dinner Party

In response to Eric's challenge to list whom we would have to dinner if we could pick 6 people, dead or alive, to have at our table ( and Jesus doesn't count in the 6 because we would all have him, of course). So here goes:

1. Martha Washington; I'd love to know what that time was really like... the day-to-day thing, of how life was, how they really felt about being thrust into such a role, etc.


2.Walt Disney; What a great guy to have at a dinner party... he'd probably tell so many great stories, I'd love to know what he was really like.


3. Leonardo DiVinci; just because he's AMAZING.

4. Judy Garland; It would be nice to just sit with her, talk with her about everything; hear her stories about everything she saw and did, even as a kid.

There are so many incredible people... I'd love to invited some that made this area great and talk to them about what southern CA was like when there was no one here yet, when it was still just ranchos...

(above is a picture of Clodomiro Sepulveda and Peregrina Rosa Yorba, 1885 - their two family's ranchos combine into what James Irvine later purchases and makes into Irvine Ranch- but prior to that: what was this area like? What was it like to stand on top of the hills on the Yorba rancho and look out over the land?? i wish my eyes could see what their eyes saw.)
I'd love to talk with Peter Minuit who negotiated with the Indians for posession of Manhattan - what did it look like?? How did it grow? What troubles did you encounter?

Anyway, I'll finish my list eventually....

Who would YOU choose??

4 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

Very interesting. Those are some I would never have thought of so I like that a lot. The ranchos and martha washington - maybe a discussion of eminent domain???

Anonymous said...

Okay...I have a great idea. You invite your 6 and I will invite my 6 and we'll all have dinner together...pot luck. I'm very interested in your 6, but in mine too. Paul, who wrote over 1/2 of the new testament. I just wonder if he ever thought, "this is crazy, it'll never work". My dad, to ask about all the crazy stories of migrating over here as an immigrant, but never asked while he was still alive. Corrie Ten Boom. Exactly how many times did she actually think, "I'm sure I'm going to die now".
Anyway, lets plan it for Heaven. Wanna?
We'll sit at Jesus' table.

Eric Wakeling said...

Where's the picture?? You got me excited.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brookie, I was hoping I would be invited to Dinner. :)
Love ya!
Amble... Amble... Amble...